Answered By: Jessica Kiebler Last Updated: Jul 06, 2017 Views: 9
You can use the World Geography & Culture Online database to find maps by country, state and region as well as images of flags. You can access the maps two ways – by visiting the Country/State page and clicking on the “Maps & Flags” section or by using an alphabetical list of map names.
You can also use the Britannica Image Quest database. See this FAQ on using Image Quest: http://chat.library.berkeleycollege.edu/faq/163081
To access the World Culture database and the maps, follow these steps:
1. Getting to the Country/State page directly:
- Go to the Library tab in the Blackboard.
- Click on the yellow "Research/Explore" tab and then click on "Databases"
- Click on "A to Z List" at the top of the page. Select "W" from the alphabet and find “World Geography & Culture Online”.
- Click on the database name to open it in a new window.
- Under the toolbar at the top, drop down “Select a Country” or “Select a State” to find the location you need. For example, let’s select the state of Alabama.
- From the main State page, select “Maps and Flags” on the left side. Click the dropdown menu next to “View by Type” to only view maps or flags and not both.
2. Viewing an alphabetical list of countries & states (including REGIONS):
- In the dark green toolbar, hover your mouse over “Resources” and click on “Maps and Flags”.
- Click the dropdown menu next to “View by Type” to only view maps or flags and not both.
- Click on the first letter of the country or state you are looking to find. For example, let’s click on “O” for “Ohio”. You will see maps of the state with cities, elevation maps, county maps and more.
- If you need to see regions of a country, you would click on the first letter of that country. For example, for the New England region in the United States, you would click on “U” for “United States” and look for “United States of America: New England States: Political Map”.
The video below can help you get to the databases list. From there you could select “World Geography & Culture Online” from the alphabetical list.